The Court Theatre is committed to supporting emerging practitioners and providing pathways for entering the arts workforce. Internships at The Court Theatre offer opportunities for students to gain practical experience with one of New Zealand’s premier arts industry organisations.
There are possibilities for work across all departments of the theatre, both production and creative, depending on the project and area of interest.
All opportunities for internships will be posted here along with details of how to apply.
To find out more about the work of our interns at The Court Theatre take a look at their blog BACK STAGE PASS.
Assistant Stage Manager Internship
Internship – possible extension to short term contract
The Court Theatre is a charitable trust producing 8 Main Stage, 5 Forge and 4 Kids shows each year. The company regularly wins accolades and is often referred to as the most successful performing arts organisation in New Zealand. It provides a thriving, vibrant, challenging and stimulating environment in which to work.
Established in 1971, The Court Theatre left its home in the Arts Centre following the February 2011 earthquake and has operated from its facilities in Addington since December 2011, enjoying huge public support in its new venue. It is an exciting time for the company as major developments and decisions are being made for the long-term future of The Court.
The Assistant Stage Manager is primarily responsible for assisting in CHICAGO production details. The Assistant Stage Manager reports to the Stage Manager and the Production Manager. Duties are as following:
- To undertake Assistant Stage Manager duties within each performance as per the schedule determined by the Production Manager.
- To provide, maintain, set and ensure smooth running of all properties during performances and rehearsals.
- To assist the Stage Manager in scheduling.
- To learn the "book" and cue performances as required.
- To deputise the Stage Manger as required.
- To coordinate the delivery of goods and hiring of extra technical equipment as required.
- To assist the Stage Manager with presets and resets of props and setting.
- To assist the Stage Manager with additional tasks as requested.
- To assist in mark outs of rehearsal room and performance spaces and maintain cleanliness of the stage and studio areas.
- To attend production meetings and take production meeting minutes and rehearsal notes.
- To be responsible for all Stage Management tools, equipment, properties and furniture in the theatre and the rehearsal room.
The ideal candidate will be a strong team player, pro-active and self-motivated. They will need to have excellent communication skills and attention to details. It will be an advantage to have prior experience in theatre. This is a position in a creative work environment and there is regularly a need to liaise one-on-one and as part of a team.
This will be a wonderful opportunity for the right candidate to learn from The Court Theatre's professional production team. The Assistant Stage Management Intern will be offered support to build a personalised learning programme around the role and will be offered regular opportunities to reflect on their development and plan their future learning needs.
Period: 16/10/17 to 26/11/17, possible extension with a casual contract up to 28/01/18. The usual place of work is The Court Theatre, Addington in Christchurch. A willingness to work flexible hours, including evenings, weekends and public holidays is essential.
To apply, send your cover letter, CV and any other relevant documentation to Flore Charbonnier, Production Manager, at email@example.com by Wednesday 20 September 2017.